3 Steps to a Winning Morning in Chattanooga
We live and run our businesses in one of the best cities for entrepreneurs in the United States. Chattanooga, Tennessee has so many great resources for business people. From business advice to full-service office space, and everything in between, you’ll find so much information and so many people willing to help you.
Fresh Air, Cool Breezes, and no Technology
Get up, go for a walk, run, or even a bike ride. These are a great ways to kick off your day. The morning sun, the cool air work to boost your mood and offset stress by encouraging your body to produce more of your “feel good” hormones. It also helps keep your mind sharp as you age and increases your appetite in the morning when it’s time to eat breakfast.
Skip the technology until after your walk. I promise your emails, voicemails, text messages, other beeps and chimes will be fine until after you get done. Wake up, enjoy some “you time” in the fresh air, then hit the day focused and awake.
Chattanooga has a ton of great places to walk. You can start with a walk across one of the world’s largest pedestrian bridges. The Market Street Bridge goes over the Tennessee River and connects downtown to Coolidge and Renaissance Park.
You don’t have to stick to the walking paths in the parks. You can enjoy strolling the sidewalks downtown, too. You’ll find a wide variety of art installations scattered throughout the city along the sidewalks as you explore.
If technology motivates you to move or you happen to be a Pokemon player, most of the art installations in Chattanooga have been turned into Pokestops and Gyms. You can stock up on points while hatching eggs and catching an assortment of Pokemon through the city.
You don’t have to bring your own bike. If you prefer, ride instead of walk. Chattanooga’s Bicycle Transit System features hundreds of bikes at over 30 stations throughout the city. Bikes are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. You can rent bikes with a 24-hour pass, 3-day pass, or by purchase an Annual Membership.
Learn more: http://www.bikechattanooga.com/how-it-works
Fuel Your Body and Mind
Most entrepreneurs have a to-do list for the day that’s longer than they can possibly complete. Because of this, it’s tempting to just power your way through a coffee or energy drink. Skip right over breakfast to help buy yourself a few more minutes each day.
This starts a vicious cycle with your body. You get an artificial boost from the caffeine and sugar. This starts your morning off good. Through the day your energy starts to wind down. You find yourself struggling to get stuff done usually by two or three in the afternoon.
While you feel more productive in the morning, the afternoon slump offsets that early boost by slowing you down for the rest of the day. This usually results in more caffeine… and more crashing.
You can stop this cycle by actually taking the time to eat in the morning. Plan something nutritious. It’s not necessarily a big, heavy, southern breakfast. You don’t want to slow your body down processing a ton of bad-for-you food. You want to give your body nutrients that power your well-being.
Check out this list of 7 Brain Foods for Breakfast:
- Eggs provide a B vitamin that plays a role in brain function and memory while also providing the protein you need to feel full.
- Grains get converted from carbs to glucose – which is the brain’s preferred fuel.
- Grapes help protect brain health by counteracting oxidative stress and inflammation.
- Blueberries are high in tannins that protect brain cells and improves memory by improving communication between them.
- Almonds are an excellent source of Vitamin E that helps to prevent cognitive decline.
- Oats contain iron, zinc, potassium, and B vitamins that all help with brain function and keeping you full.
- Apples contain a lot of quercetin that is an antioxidant plant chemical that protects brain cells.
Downtown Chattanooga has several great spots to stop in and grab a bite before you start your day. If your office is at The Concierge Office Suites, park here and get in your morning walk.
- Southern Sqweeze – Chattanooga’s first all-natural, cold-pressed organic juice bar located Downtown. The best part is they are located in Miller Park.
- Peet’s Coffee & Tea – landed in Chattanooga, but has been around since 1966 having started in Berkeley, California. The tea is amazing as the coffee and just two blocks away.
- Street Corner Fresh Market – this is a great grab and go! We love their breakfast sandwiches. If you’re really in a hurry, it’s just a block away.
- Stone Cup Cafe – great place to go for oatmeal, yogurt, eggs, and bagels. They locally roast their coffee. You could walk the Walnut Street Bridge and Coolidge Park before landing in the office.
Pick one place a work day and enjoy!
Build a Routine
Humans do better with a routine. Our mind learns our routine. It works to prepare us mentally and physically for the tasks ahead. By establishing a routine, you’ll find it’s easier to get through each step of your morning. You’ll be more awake, less sore, and more motivated.
When you’re first establishing your routine, it can be easy to put off a step because you just don’t feel like it. To help avoid this, commit to your morning routine the night before. This can mean doing things like laying out your walking clothes and tennis shoes before you go to bed. Your walking clothes and shoes are waiting for you to wake up.
Roy F. Baumeister, one of the world’s most prolific psychologists determined routine is like a willpower muscle. Create a routine and your will power increases. Go for a walk on a regular basis and you’ll want to do it more. Given no other alternative through routine, we will typically choose to walk instead of “doing nothing.”
Wake up each morning. Create some positive, productive steps. You’ll find a routine easier and more rewarding as each morning passes. We hope sharing these business concierge insider highlights of Chattanooga will help you have a winning morning routine.